Jay School Corporation
1976 W Tyson Rd
Portland, Indiana 47371
Phone: (260) 726-9341
In partnership with our families and the community, the mission of Jay School Corporation is to provide a quality educational program, which causes each student to think, reason, communicate and make positive contributions to our community.
- 10 Schools
- 3,360 Students K-12
- 255 Preschool Students
- 225 Teachers
- 94% Graduation Rate (2016)
- 6% Attendance Rate
- 1% Free/Reduced Lunch Eligibility
The Jay School Corporation is demographically the 6th largest land area of any school corporation in Indiana.
- Jay County is creating an employer-driven CTE program for both adults and students focused on economic outcomes. Jay County High school is a talent pipeline to high-wage, high demand jobs in the region, ensuring a 21st century skilled and ready workforce.
- Ranked top 5% in state for CTE Performance by the Dept of Workforce Dev.
- 9 in 10 seniors take a CTE course.
- 20 Pathways are available to students who can earn early college credit or Industry Recognized Certifications.
- Recipient of DWD CTE Innovation and Sill UP II Grants.
- 16% of seniors complete Work and Learn Experiences.
- 81% of seniors earned Silver or above on WorkKeys Assessment.
- 74 Career Technical Education Courses
- 56 Dual Credit Classes
- 10 Advance Placement Courses
- 26 Pathways
- RTI Program (Response to Intervention)
- BYOD (Bring your own device) every student in Grades 7-12 have their own chromebook
- Kids Hope Mentors
- Character Counts
- Community Partnerships
- Graduates awarded 2.3 million in Scholarships (2016)
- Pennville Elementary named Family Friendly School
- Judge Haynes named one of three finalists out of 900 schools for the Title I Distinguished School
- West Jay named Outstanding/Successful School Award
- All schools donate to the local United Way
- Jay School Corporation “A” Rated five of the last six years
- School grades for 2015-2016 were five A’s, four B’s and one C
- Work Ethic Certification
- National Honor Society
- Student Council
- Academic Teams
- Drama, French, German, Spanish, Latin Clubs
- Just Say No
- Junior Classical League
- Concert and Marching Band
- Music Connection, Patriot Edition, Danza Cantate
- Winter Guard
- Fall Sports: Football, Cross Country, Boys’ Tennis, Volleyball, Girls’ Golf, Boys’ & Girls’ Soccer, Cheerleading
- Winter Sports: Boys’ & Girls’ Basketball, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Swimming & Diving, Cheerleading
- Spring Sports: Baseball, Softball, Track & Field, Boys’ Golf, Girls’ Tennis