The Commercial Review
The Commercial Review continues its tradition as one of the best small daily newspapers in Indiana as it took first place for general excellence in the 2016 Hoosier State Press Association Better Newspaper Contest. It marked the second time in three years that the paper won the general excellence award and the sixth consecutive year it finished in the top three. The CR earned 17 total awards, including first-place honors for in-depth feature, sports feature, general news photo, feature photo, sports action photo, sports feature photo, multiple picture group, video story and website.
The newspaper has earned 86 HSPA awards over the last six years.
Earlier in the year, The CR had finished second with 12 awards in the Indiana Associated Press Media Editors contest. First-place honors came in categories for best digital presence for its website and use of social media, non-deadline sports story, business writing, headline writing and deadline sports story.
Elias Marsh founded the newspaper in 1871, making it one of the oldest business in Jay County. It had several name changes over the years before settling on The Commercial Review when The Daily Commercial and The Evening Review merged in 1901.
The Graphic Printing Co., Inc., was founded by Hugh N. Ronald Jr. in 1946 as the Times-Journal Inc., publisher of the Redkey Times-Journal. The corporation changed its name in 1949 and launched The Graphic, a weekly publication focused on photos and features in Portland and Jay County. In 1959, the weekly bought out the daily — The Commercial Review — and the publications were combined over the next two years.
The Commercial Review is published daily except Sundays and six holidays (New Years, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas) by The Graphic Printing Co. Inc., 309 W. Main St., Portland, Indiana 47371.