Quality ChemistPosition Title: Quality Chemist
Posted: April 26, 2021
Company: Hill's Pet Nutrition Indiana Inc
Website: View Website
Industry: Veterinary Medicine,Manufacturing
The Quality Technician - Chemist performs routine physical and analytical testing of packaging, raw material, in-process, and finished product in accordance with official laboratory methods and standards to affirm the production of nutritionally superior pet food. This role is also responsible for driving efficiency and efficacy of all quality systems in the Topeka, Kansas facility.
- Understands and is accountable for full compliance with safety and other EOHS requirements.
- Performs or assists vendor in the installation and qualification phases of laboratory instruments.
- Analyzes ingredients and finished product for moisture, fat, protein, ash, and minerals paralleling compliance to official laboratory methods.
- Performs routine peroxide value, free fatty acid, and mycotoxin testing.
- Responsible for maintaining laboratory equipment and equipment calibrations.
- Understands precautions in handling reagents and disposal of chemical waste according to local and environmental regulations.
- Conducts internal and external audits of Quality Systems.
- Participates and executes of corrective action planning and remediation.
- Prepares, organizes, and stores library samples.
- Adheres to quality programs such as HACCP, SOPs, and document control.
- Prepare samples for Third Party analysis
- Ability to perform NIR testing according to SOP’s and maintain calibrations as required
- Maintains and troubleshoots quality systems, equipment and programs including metal detectors, scales, and check-weights.
- Assists in SAP processes / transactions such as hold/release, product traceability and recall, and regulatory compliance.
- Identifies continuous improvement opportunities for Quality and Micro issues.
- Conducts training for plant personnel regarding Quality and Laboratory procedures.
- Measures, records, and reports plant KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators).
- Comply with Best Laboratory & Documentation Practices
- Able to conduct CAPA analysis on out of specification laboratory results
- Orders lab supplies and maintaining budget goals
- Maintains proficiency in SAP process flow and application.
- Able to quickly retrieve and understand data to support FDA, USDA, external and internal audit requests.
- Works any shift as needed, and troubleshoots quality issues over the phone during off hours.
- Provides finished product data and analytical results of test products for the Pet Nutrition Center.
- Other job duties and projects as assigned
Job Type: Full Time
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science, Food Science or related field. OR Bachelor's degree with 3+ years' experience in analytical laboratory in food, consumer product or pharmaceutical industry
Ability to work any work schedule, including weekends.
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
5 or more years of experience in an analytical laboratory.
Knowledge of quality systems.
Computer skills including email, spread sheet, presentation and data base management.
Good technical, communications, and interpersonal skills.
Previous experience using SAP.
Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Broad Supply Chain perspective.
Knowledge of analytical method validation
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Career Level: Entry level
How To Apply: https://jobs.colgate.com/
- Competive Salary
- Medical, Dental, & Vision coverage for employee and eligible dependents- starting on day 1
- Dental - in network restorative procedure covered at 100%, and up to $5,000 in orthodontics
- Basic Life Insuranance for you and eligilbe dependents at NO cost
- 3 weeks of Vacation
- Paid parental leave
- Paid holidays
- Result-based bonus program (up to 10%)
- Saving & Investment plan with company match
- Tuition Assistance - up to $10,000 per year
- Employee Assistance Program
- Access to discounted Company products
View All Jobs From Hill's Pet Nutrition Indiana Inc