Campus Services AssistantPosition Title: Campus Services Assistant
Posted: March 5, 2020
Company: Indiana University East
Website: View Website
Industry: Maintenance - General
Indiana University East is accepting applications for a Campus Services Assistant in the physical plant. The Campus Services Assistant performs a variety of tasks in support of campus physical plant services and functions. This work involves adhering to established standard procedures, techniques, and safety requirements with some judgment required to interpret instructions. Work includes event set-ups and furniture moving, grounds care and maintenance, routine building care and maintenance, carpet, flooring and tile care, installation, and maintenance, and mailroom coverage duties. Individuals may be required to work evenings and weekends, and scheduling may be subject to change.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set up facilities for meetings, campus office moves, conferences, outdoor venues, and other special events as directed by your Supervisor or Director of Physical plant. Move, set-up, rearrange and erect tables, chairs, platforms, displays and other furniture. Disassemble and store items/equipment at end of event as needed using dollies, carts, and ladders. May perform custodial duties during and after special events.
- Assist groundskeepers in performing grounds work, cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs, driveways, and parking lots using hand operated tools, university vehicles, or small power equipment in response to inclement weather needs. May aid in preparing planting beds with hand and power tools; planting bulbs, flowers, trees and shrubs; and applying mulch, weeding, and/or trimming flowerbeds, walks, pathways and walls.
- Assist in cleaning buildings, removing debris, and keeping areas neat and tidy. Vacuum and buff floors, shampoo carpets, empty trash receptacles, and replace lining of trashcans. Strip and apply floor finish as scheduled. May operate and maintain power equipment and hand tools such as buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, vacuums, brooms, mops, squeegees, etc. for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, and furniture. Use basic math skills to mix and dilute commercial strength cleaners.
- Perform light maintenance around campus such as replacement of ceiling tiles/panels; replacement, removal or repair of campus signage; minor building maintenance such as collecting items to be recycled and minor plumbing repairs; basic vehicle maintenance duties for university vehicles (washing, vacuuming interiors, fluid level checks, etc.) Reports vandalism, theft or damages to supervisor in a timely manner. May be required to operate various hand and power tools such as drills, screwdrivers, ladders, rakes, dollies, handcarts, etc.
- Remove previous paint by means of sandblasting, scraping, sanding, and steam cleaning. Apply paint, stain and additional finishes to inside and outside surfaces of buildings and other areas. Utilize pre-coating agents, filling and leveling materials, and mix and match colors and textures. In addition, read blueprints, drawings, technical specifications and material data sheets in the successful completion of assigned painting task. Clean up job site after work and return equipment and tools.
- Perform mailroom and shipping/receiving duties as assigned. May collect, sort, and deliver campus, USPS mail and/or packages from other vendors such as FedEx, UPS, Guy Brown, etc. Sort, bundle and route all mail/packages for distribution on campus and to other IU campuses. Operate metering and mailing equipment to weigh and affix USPS postage. Utilize handcart to distribute mail to all areas of campus. May drive University owned vehicles to deliver and pick up a variety of materials and goods at remote campus locations, post office, and local retailers.
- Assist with handling campus emergencies and inclement weather by responding to fire alarms, tornado sirens and directing building occupants to shelter locations.
- Serve as backup and fills in for other physical plant campus positions during vacations, leaves, absences, etc. performing basic tasks in support of campus services and functions. Perform other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full Time
High school diploma or GED and one year of experience in light maintenance, custodial work, or a related area.
Possess a valid driver’s license with the ability to be insured by Indiana University.
Knowledge of housekeeping techniques and procedures used in commercial, institutional, and/or university building services. Knowledge of safety principles, practices, and techniques as related to use of hand tools, lifting, climbing, and use of chemicals. Ability to work with pesticides, chemicals, and safely dispose of hazardous materials. Ability to work without continuous direct supervision. Ability to comprehend and follow instructions. Ability to follow complex directions. Ability to assist in a variety of tasks and positions including custodial, grounds and light maintenance. Ability to operate manual and power equipment. Basic computer skills. Ability to work outdoors under unfavorable weather conditions (i.e., hot or cold). Ability to effectively communicate and exchange information.
Knowledge of how to use computer, vacuum, floor machine, scrubber, burnisher, foam gun, buffer, grout cleaner, wet/dry shop vacuum, carpet shampooer, furniture shampooer, and sprayers. Experience with University owned vehicles, such as riding mower, pickup truck, RTV, and car. Experience with other equipment, including push mower, chainsaw, trimmers, tillers, blower, edger, weed eater, lifts, ladders, dollies, hand carts, pallet trailer, postal meter and hand tools.
Education Level: High School
Career Level: entry level
How To Apply: https://jobs.iu.edu/
$13.00 per hour.
Work schedule: Monday-Thursday from 2pm to 11pm with a one hour lunch break; and Friday from 12pm to 9pm with a one hour lunch break.
View All Jobs From Indiana University East